#MCM: 10 Fun Facts About Kunle Afolayan
Multiple award-winning director, Kunle Afolayan, who first starred in Saworoide (1999) with his role as Aresejabata – a film by Tunde Kelani, has released his 2016 psychological flick The CEO last week Friday. very soon in June. If nobody is staying tuned, I am! It promises so far to be grosser, maybe outperforming October 1 (2014) in earnings and nominations, right now it’s on the right track, read Xplore’s review here.
He is the first director in Nigeria to premiere his movie in flight and went on to feature the movie at the Nollywood Week in Paris. The movie stars Wale Ojo (Phone Swap – 2012) and Grammy Award-winning singer and activist, Angélique Kidjo.
Check out some cool facts you probably didn’t know about the father of 3 (yes, 3!!!):
- The Nigerian actor, filmmaker, and director is the son of the famous theater, film director, and producer – Adeyemi Josiah Afolayan, popularly known as “Ade Love”.
- Kunle Afolayan was born September 30th 1974 in Ebute Metta but of Igbomina descent in Kwara State and started off as an actor in 1998.
- He founded Golden Effect Pictures in 2005 and debuted as a filmmaker with Irapada (2006).
- He has since directed The Figurine (2009), Phone Swap (2012), October 1 (2014) and The CEO.
- He represented the second largest film industry in the world – Nollywood, with his colleague Zeb Ejiro at the Subversive Film Festival in 2011.
- He has won many awards including; Best Movie Director (2015 African Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards), Best Actor in a Leading Role (2010 Africa Movie Academy Awards), Best Director (2010 Africa Movie Academy Awards) and Achievement in Cinematography (2010 Africa Movie Academy Awards).
- His movie, October 1 (2015) won 9 categories at the 2015 AMVCA’s.
- The CEO, which is being supported by Air France, stars Jimmy Jean-Louis (Heroes Reborn – TV Series), Aurelie Eliam and Kemi Lala Akindoju.
- Tunde Babalola who wrote the script for his blockbuster – October 1, also wrote The CEO. Get ready to be blown!
- Kunle Afolayan majored in Economics before attending the New York Film Academy to bolster his career as a filmmaker and director.
He signed a deal with GLOBACOM Nigeria in 2014 and more recently an endorsement deal with Air France in 2015.
Image Credits: Takemetonaija.com.
Tolu Kareem is an upcoming Nollywood movie critic and you can follow him on twitter on @tolukareem